When you think about the largest online retailer in the world, you think about Amazon. It’s no secret that Amazon provides multiple career opportunities to thousands of people worldwide. But, what is the minimum age to work at Amazon? This question frequently arises from teenagers looking to start their working journey and gain experience while making some money. As an ex-senior Amazon executive, I would like to give you a complete guide to Amazon’s minimum age requirements to work, the positions suitable for teenagers, and other relevant information that might be helpful for those starting their careers.
What is the Minimum Age Requirement to Work at Amazon?
Amazon has a strict minimum age requirement policy, and it is important to note that this policy varies across countries. In the United States, the minimum age requirement to work at Amazon is 16 years old. However, for some positions, such as driving roles, the minimum age requirement is higher, typically around 21 years old. In other countries, such as the United Kingdom and Canada, the minimum age requirement is 18 years old.
It’s important to note that different states in the US may have different minimum age requirements. It’s best to check with Amazon’s human resources department or your state’s labour laws to confirm the minimum age requirement in your state.
Can Teens Apply Jobs at Amazon?
Yes! Teens can apply for jobs at Amazon if they meet certain criteria. For example, some states allow teens as young as 16 years old to work in certain positions such as cashiers or stockers. Additionally, some states allow teens between 14 and 17 years old to work in non-hazardous positions such as customer service representatives or delivery drivers. It’s important to check with your state laws before applying for a job with Amazon.
Read about: Amazon Ethics Hotline
What Jobs Are Available for Teenagers at Amazon?
Amazon offers diverse job opportunities suitable for teenagers with varying levels of experience. Here are some positions teenagers can apply for:
- Part-time associates: Associates who work part-time usually work four-hour to eight-hour shifts a day. They may be assigned tasks related to sorting, scanning, or packaging products.
- Seasonal associates: Amazon often hires temporary or seasonal workers during peak seasons such as Christmas or Thanksgiving. These temporary positions usually last a few weeks or months depending on the demand.
- Amazon internships: Amazon provides internship opportunities for those in high school, college, or university.
Roles Available to 16 and 17-Year-olds at Amazon
Amazon offers a variety of roles for 16- and 17-year-olds, ranging from warehouse associates to customer service representatives. However, the types of roles and hours available for 16- and 17-year-olds may be limited due to state or federal labour laws.
For example, some states do not allow 16- and 17-year-olds to work more than a certain number of hours per week or work during certain times of the day. It’s important to check your state’s labour laws to ensure that you are eligible.
Allowed Working Hours for Minors in Amazon
In the United States, if you’re under 18, you can only work a certain number of hours. You’re limited to three hours of work on a school day and eight hours during a non-school day. Minors can work 18 hours a week during the school year and 40 hours a week during vacations. They are not allowed to work before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m., except from June 1 to Labor Day, when they can work until 9 p.m.
Salary for Teens Working at Amazon
It varies depending on the location, department, and experience. However, the average hourly wage for a fulfilment centre associate ranges from $15 to $17 per hour. Amazon Fresh associates and Whole Foods Market team members are classified under the same pay scale, with a starting wage of $15 per hour.
Why Teens Choose Amazon to Work?
- Training and Education Programs: Amazon takes pride in investing in their employee’s education and training needs. They offer a Career Choice program that pays up to 95% of tuition fees for courses related to in-demand fields. Amazon has partnered with top universities such as Purdue University, University of Denver, and several others to offer courses ranging from IT to healthcare fields.
- Safety and Health Concerns: Amazon places a high priority on ensuring a safe and healthy work environment for all its employees, regardless of their age. Amazon invests in state-of-the-art technology and safety measures to ensure employees’ safety at all times while performing their job duties. Some strict guidelines and regulations must be followed, and Amazon enforces them to create a safer workplace.
- Amazon Future Engineer: It is a program designed to help young adults learn about computer science and coding. This program is available to students from K-12 schools and offers a variety of resources and tools to help them gain the skills they need to succeed.
How to Apply for a Job at Amazon as a Teen?
The first step is to check Amazon’s website for a list of available positions for teenagers. Once you have identified a suitable position, you can fill out an application online. The application will require some basic personal and educational information, as well as a resume. Furthermore, Amazon will conduct a thorough background screening to ensure that all potential associates meet their high standards.
However, it is important to note that being a teenager comes with its challenges, such as limited experience and education. Hence, it may be beneficial to gain some work experience before applying for a job at Amazon or looking for roles that are specifically geared towards teens.
Tips – Apply for Amazon as a Teenager
When applying for a job with Amazon, it’s important to make sure your application stands out from the crowd. Here are a few tips that can help:
- Research the Job Position: Before submitting your application, take time to research the job position. This will show Amazon HR that you have an understanding of their business model and culture which could give you an edge over other applicants.
- Tailor your resume: Make sure your resume is tailored specifically for each job you apply for by highlighting relevant skills and experiences that match up with the position requirements. This will demonstrate that you have taken time and effort into crafting an impressive resume which could give employers a good first impression of you as an applicant.
- Follow up: After submitting your application, don’t forget to follow up with employers either through email or phone call a few days later just to make sure they received it and ask any questions you may have about the position or company culture. This shows initiative on your part which could help set you apart from other applicants who may not have taken this extra step in their application process.
- Networking: Don’t be afraid to reach out and network with people who already work at Amazon or who have worked there in the past as this could be invaluable when it comes time for interviews or getting hired on a full time basis. Connecting with people within the company can also give you insight into what it’s like working there which could help prepare you better during interviews or when starting out in a new role within the company itself.
What should you do if you’re not eligible to work at Amazon yet?
If you’re not yet eligible to work at Amazon, there are still plenty of ways to gain valuable experience and skills. Consider taking part in a summer internship program, volunteering in your community, or even starting your own business. These experiences will not only help you build your resume but could also set you up for a successful career in the future.
To summarize, the minimum age to work at Amazon varies based on the position. Teenagers ranging from 16-17 years of age may work as Amazon associates but may have limitations in working hours and working in certain hazardous environments. Amazon provides excellent training and education programs and opportunities to both temporal and full-time employees. Amazon’s priority is its employees’ safety and health, so rest assured that Amazon follows strict safety guidelines and regulations. If you’re looking to start your career, Amazon might be the perfect place to start, with its job opportunities and its focus on employee career development.